Friday, February 24, 2012

hyperlink in reporting services

Hi
I have developed a report using microsoft reporting
services with certain fields.
In my report the user enters name (which is a parameter) and the
report is displayed
Inside my report. I have a field studentID which should be a link
which when clicked should take me to a new report which is a report
in extranet.
Currently I dont have access to that rdl and for certain reasons, I am
asked to link to that report by
coding a hyperlink in development
I know that in the text box under action properties I need to give the
url , but its not working
Should i specify the student id anywhere .
What and where should I code'
ThanksYou want to use Jump to URL (since you don't have the RDL). You have to make
it an expression and create the appropriate URL string (and yes, you need to
reference your parameter when creating this string.).
The best way to develop this is to have a report with nothing on it except a
text box and the report parameter that you will be using. Then set the
textbox to an expression and create the appropriate string. This will allow
you to see the string and whether it works.
Note the first thing you should be able to do is put the URL into IE and
make sure you have it working prior to trying to create the URL.
In books online search on URL
Once you know how to create the appropriate expression right mouse click,
properties on the field and go to the navigation tab.
--
Bruce Loehle-Conger
MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
<sowmyamanjunath@.gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1187195866.765576.139610@.w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...
> Hi
> I have developed a report using microsoft reporting
> services with certain fields.
> In my report the user enters name (which is a parameter) and the
> report is displayed
>
> Inside my report. I have a field studentID which should be a link
> which when clicked should take me to a new report which is a report
> in extranet.
> Currently I dont have access to that rdl and for certain reasons, I am
> asked to link to that report by
> coding a hyperlink in development
>
> I know that in the text box under action properties I need to give the
> url , but its not working
> Should i specify the student id anywhere .
> What and where should I code'
>
> Thanks
>|||Hi
Thanks for the reply. I have the url and in my
report in the acion of the textbox i have(jump to url) the URL for the
report
The problem is this url has a report which takes student ID as a
parameter. how do I pass this parmeter from my report to this url
The url is something like this
https://extranet........net/ReportServer?/studentportfolio/STUDENT_PORTFOLIO&rs:Format=PDF&rs:Command=Render&rc:parameters=true&STUDENT_ID=#########|||On Aug 15, 11:46 am, "Bruce L-C [MVP]" <bruce_lcNOS...@.hotmail.com>
wrote:
> You want to use Jump to URL (since you don't have the RDL). You have to make
> it an expression and create the appropriate URL string (and yes, you need to
> reference your parameter when creating this string.).
> --
I was never able to make this work (all the javascript and all that
which the BOL recommended). What did work for me was to have my SQL
Query return my link text for me...
SELECT
field1
, field2
, field3
, 'http://server.domain.com/path/doc.script?params=' +
rtrim(ltrim(field3)) as field3Link
FROMtable
...and then merely select 'field3Link' from the Jump to URL
dropdown.
Its a bit clunky, but works flawlessly.
Brian|||The problem i am facing is with the parameter part
If i try to get this from my query as a field
say field3 = url
the url I have been provided is something like this
https://extranet........net/ReportServer?/studentportfolio/STUDENT_PORTFOLIO&rs:Format=PDF&rs:Command=Render&rc:parameters=true&STUDENT_ID=########
How do i pass the parameter in the end of URL|||Your URL looks correct. A couple of notes, ensure the parameter name is
spelled correctly (I believe it is case sensitive) and you are passing valid
values. Also, as recommended earlier, get the url working properly outside
of the report, then try to make it dynamic.
This link might also provide some help:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms152835.aspx
"sowmyamanjunath@.gmail.com" wrote:
> The problem i am facing is with the parameter part
> If i try to get this from my query as a field
> say field3 = url
> the url I have been provided is something like this
> https://extranet........net/ReportServer?/studentportfolio/STUDENT_PORTFOLIO&rs:Format=PDF&rs:Command=Render&rc:parameters=true&STUDENT_ID=########
>
> How do i pass the parameter in the end of URL
>
>|||This is very easy. First you are not putting this in as a hard coded string.
You need it to be an expression
="https://extranet........net/ReportServer?/studentportfolio/STUDENT_PORTFOLIO&rs:Format=PDF&rs:Command=Render&rc:parameters=true&STUDENT_ID="
& Parameters!ParameterName.Value
Note the parameter name in your URL is case sensitive. I used the expression
builder when doing this.
If it is not a report parameter then just use the expression builder to pick
the appropriate field.
Bruce Loehle-Conger
MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
<sowmyamanjunath@.gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1187197871.255888.162550@.k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com...
> Hi
> Thanks for the reply. I have the url and in my
> report in the acion of the textbox i have(jump to url) the URL for the
> report
> The problem is this url has a report which takes student ID as a
> parameter. how do I pass this parmeter from my report to this url
> The url is something like this
> https://extranet........net/ReportServer?/studentportfolio/STUDENT_PORTFOLIO&rs:Format=PDF&rs:Command=Render&rc:parameters=true&STUDENT_ID=#########
>

No comments:

Post a Comment