Sunday, February 19, 2012

HW question to run SqlServer 2k

I believe I am very lucky to come into getting an old server from my work.
However, I do have a question I hoped the gurus here could help me out with.
I currently run SQL Server on a desktop calibre box. It is a P3 650Mhz with
192MB and a 10GB HD. This server does double duty as my mail server.
Unfortunately the memory is quite low on this box. :< I'm not too worried
about that as the machine is more of a training box (for me :>) more than
anything.
The new server I got is a P3 350Mhx dual Xeon, with 1GB RAM and six SCSI
RAID 9GB HD. The processor speed is much lower, but it's a dual Xeon and it
has the memory I love.
I'm wondering if I'm indeed very lucky to come into this server, or if I
thought take out the 1GB RAM and put that into my existing server (assuming
I can do that?). I'm new to RAID, SCSI, and Xeon processors. What do the
gurus think about running SQL Server on a box like this? Am I going to get
the same or better performance than on my existing box?
Thank you for any and all comments! :>
PS The box is for my own personal db and email server at home, but I do run
a few websites on it which I would like acceptable performance."Flip" <[remove_me]phenry_w@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23W$w6zoGFHA.3648@.TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> I currently run SQL Server on a desktop calibre box. It is a P3 650Mhz
with
> 192MB and a 10GB HD. This server does double duty as my mail server.
> Unfortunately the memory is quite low on this box. :< I'm not too worried
> about that as the machine is more of a training box (for me :>) more than
> anything.
> The new server I got is a P3 350Mhx dual Xeon, with 1GB RAM and six SCSI
> RAID 9GB HD. The processor speed is much lower, but it's a dual Xeon and
it
> has the memory I love.
> I'm wondering if I'm indeed very lucky to come into this server, or if I
> thought take out the 1GB RAM and put that into my existing server
(assuming
> I can do that?).
Move the 1GB of memory to the P3 650Mhz? If so, compatibility would depend
on the speed of the memory in both computers.
> I'm new to RAID, SCSI, and Xeon processors. What do the
> gurus think about running SQL Server on a box like this? Am I going to
get
> the same or better performance than on my existing box?
You did not mention which operating system you are running on either device?
Performance should be generally better on the dual XEON processor with 1GB
memory.
> PS The box is for my own personal db and email server at home, but I do
run
> a few websites on it which I would like acceptable performance.
You should be fine with the dual processor machine, RAID gives you fault
tolerance if you loose a drive, so that is an advantage.
Steve|||re forgot to mention the OS?
Sorry 'bout that, w2k3server with all the patches. I was going to joke
about runnig linux, but I pitched that and "upgraded" a while ago! :> I
broke into the "linux boys club" but didn't like the camaraderie. :< The MS
group seems to be (in general) MUCH more helpful and accepting than the
linux/unix crowd. I konw, I know that's a wide sweeping statement but
that's been my experience with seeking help/assistance/suggestions from
those newsgroups/magazines/etc. :<
re RAID
I was looking forward to the low cost disk space increase too!:>
re should be fine with it
Thank you for your suggestion! :>
Have a good one! :>

No comments:

Post a Comment