Monday, March 26, 2012

I can't view the list of databases on remote site

I have been asked to work on a remote site. I started my EM and tried to
connect to the SQL server on the remote site. I connected just fine (server
had userid/password). But when I open the "Databases" folder I get a "(no
items)" instead of a list of databases. BUT, when I view other folders I
see various items. For example, Security/Login lists lots of login entries.
Just to see what would happen I right-clicked on Databases and clicked All
Tasks/Backup Database and got a list of databases that I was NOT allowed to
backup! But, still no list of databases.
Also, I can view and manipulate the database using Query Analyzer.
Any ideas?
BTW, I am using SQL Server 2000 EM.
TIA,
Larry Woods
P.S. I cross-posted in sqlserver.server because I need an answer ASAP.
Sorry.Hi
Public probably does not have rights to master..sysdatabases but you
probably have a permitted user for the databases but without the permissions
to backup.
John
"lwoods" <larry@.lwoods.com> wrote in message
news:e%23nZpPe0FHA.1032@.TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> I have been asked to work on a remote site. I started my EM and tried to
> connect to the SQL server on the remote site. I connected just fine
> (server
> had userid/password). But when I open the "Databases" folder I get a "(no
> items)" instead of a list of databases. BUT, when I view other folders I
> see various items. For example, Security/Login lists lots of login
> entries.
> Just to see what would happen I right-clicked on Databases and clicked All
> Tasks/Backup Database and got a list of databases that I was NOT allowed
> to
> backup! But, still no list of databases.
> Also, I can view and manipulate the database using Query Analyzer.
> Any ideas?
>
> BTW, I am using SQL Server 2000 EM.
> TIA,
> Larry Woods
> P.S. I cross-posted in sqlserver.server because I need an answer ASAP.
> Sorry.
>
>

No comments:

Post a Comment