Wednesday, March 28, 2012

I deleted an important database by accident!

I just got a new job at a new company, and I had a network terminal
with sql server which accessed a list of databases. One of them was
the database I was expected to work with.
The first day I opened some stored procedures and some tables to get a
feel of how the database worked.
The next day, the database was gone.
I am new to SQL Server (though I've read books on it) and I wonder if
I deleted the database by mistake. For instance, I double clicked on
some of the stored procedures to open them. Perhaps that runs them
instead of opening them and they delete the database? (Some of the
procedures I clicked on were 'system procedures')
I would think that it would not be simple to delete a database by
mistake - I would expect at least a message saying "are you sure"?
Monday I come back to face the music - so does anybody know how this
could happen?
-- MarvinHi
No , If you double click on stored procedure that won't drop the database as
you describe that.
Yes , if ou delete the db via EM , it always asks you "are you sure...."
bit not if you run DROP DATABASE... via QA.
Also , if some users were connected to the db you also get a message that
'db is in use..."
<COHENMARVIN@.lycos.com> wrote in message
news:67a8223a-4a1c-4eff-9ea8-9eb32417a0b8@.8g2000hse.googlegroups.com...
>I just got a new job at a new company, and I had a network terminal
> with sql server which accessed a list of databases. One of them was
> the database I was expected to work with.
> The first day I opened some stored procedures and some tables to get a
> feel of how the database worked.
> The next day, the database was gone.
> I am new to SQL Server (though I've read books on it) and I wonder if
> I deleted the database by mistake. For instance, I double clicked on
> some of the stored procedures to open them. Perhaps that runs them
> instead of opening them and they delete the database? (Some of the
> procedures I clicked on were 'system procedures')
> I would think that it would not be simple to delete a database by
> mistake - I would expect at least a message saying "are you sure"?
> Monday I come back to face the music - so does anybody know how this
> could happen?
> -- Marvin

No comments:

Post a Comment