Friday, March 30, 2012

I fixed it but want to confirm my solution

Hi Everyone,
I installed MSDE and created some VB.Net apps that worked. However,
when I tried to access them over a peer to peer LAN, I kept getting ..
"Server does not exist or access denied."
I researched the newsgroups and learned about ...
SVRNETCN.exe - Server Network configuration utility.
I launched the tool and saw that nothing was enabled. I enabled TCP/IP,
then stopped and restarted the SQL services and it now seems to work.
Questions:
- I read about 'named pipes' too and I'm wondering if I have to enable
them too (I have no idea what named pipes are)
- I enabled just the TCP/IP protocol and didn't poke around anywhere
else. Is this sufficient? Or should I verify anything else?
(I might have to ask this in another newsgroup but I'll try...)
In my search to fix the problem, I came across many messages about "Code
Access Security Policy" and I started reading about .Net Configuration
utility with its runtime security policies (code groups, permission
sets, policy assemblies) and I was trying things in there. Is there
anything that MSDE or VB.Net apps need changed in there?
Thanks for your help
Richard
You would only need to enable named pipes if you had clients connecting to
your MSDE instance that had named pipes as the default protocol.
Having only TCP/IP enabled is ok as long as any client connections are also
using TCP/IP.
Jim
"Richard Fagen" <no_spam@.my_isp.com> wrote in message
news:uaP0NIPGEHA.3372@.TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Hi Everyone,
> I installed MSDE and created some VB.Net apps that worked. However,
> when I tried to access them over a peer to peer LAN, I kept getting ..
> "Server does not exist or access denied."
> I researched the newsgroups and learned about ...
> SVRNETCN.exe - Server Network configuration utility.
> I launched the tool and saw that nothing was enabled. I enabled TCP/IP,
> then stopped and restarted the SQL services and it now seems to work.
> Questions:
> - I read about 'named pipes' too and I'm wondering if I have to enable
> them too (I have no idea what named pipes are)
> - I enabled just the TCP/IP protocol and didn't poke around anywhere
> else. Is this sufficient? Or should I verify anything else?
>
> (I might have to ask this in another newsgroup but I'll try...)
> In my search to fix the problem, I came across many messages about "Code
> Access Security Policy" and I started reading about .Net Configuration
> utility with its runtime security policies (code groups, permission
> sets, policy assemblies) and I was trying things in there. Is there
> anything that MSDE or VB.Net apps need changed in there?
> Thanks for your help
> Richard
sql

No comments:

Post a Comment