Wednesday, March 28, 2012

I don't have Sql Server at home. Is a trial version the best alternative?

I don't have Sql Server yet. I'd like to learn it at home before I
apply to businesses that use it. I see that there is a trial version
of sql server 2005 that lasts 180 days. But are there any other ways
to learn it? I seem to remember something about Microsoft Access being
able to work with it, and that Microsoft had some other products that
you could get instead for home use, but I don't remember the details.
Thanks,Dear Blackdog:
I think the best way to go about this (and to see SOME of the benefits of
SQL 2005) is to download and use the free version of SQL 2005 - SQL 2005
Express ...
You can view information about it and download it from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/editions/express/default.mspx
Ryan|||BLACKDOG157@.LYCOS.COM wrote:
> I don't have Sql Server yet. I'd like to learn it at home before I
> apply to businesses that use it. I see that there is a trial version
> of sql server 2005 that lasts 180 days. But are there any other ways
> to learn it? I seem to remember something about Microsoft Access being
> able to work with it, and that Microsoft had some other products that
> you could get instead for home use, but I don't remember the details.
> Thanks,
You can also get Developer Edition for $49.95
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/editions/developer/default.mspx
--
David Portas
SQL Server MVP
--|||"David Portas" <REMOVE_BEFORE_REPLYING_dportas@.acm.org> wrote in message
news:1137019989.434894.33740@.g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> BLACKDOG157@.LYCOS.COM wrote:
> > I don't have Sql Server yet. I'd like to learn it at home before I
> > apply to businesses that use it. I see that there is a trial version
> > of sql server 2005 that lasts 180 days. But are there any other ways
> > to learn it? I seem to remember something about Microsoft Access being
> > able to work with it, and that Microsoft had some other products that
> > you could get instead for home use, but I don't remember the details.
> > Thanks,
> You can also get Developer Edition for $49.95
> http://www.microsoft.com/sql/editions/developer/default.mspx
David, I was just looking there earlier today, and can't find where it says
what the features of Developer Edition are, nor how much it costs. Could you
post the URLs to those pages, or else tell me where I missed seeing them?
Thanks,
John Saunders|||Everything you need is posted on the URL posted by David or a direct link
off said same URL.
Copied directly from the URL mentioned by David:
Developer Edition allows developers to build and test any type of
application on top of SQL Server on 32-bit and x64 platforms. It includes
all of the functionality of Enterprise Edition, but is licensed for use as a
development and test system, not as a production server. Developer Edition
can be upgraded to SQL Server Enterprise Edition for production use.
From the "How to Buy Page" a link right off the URL mentioned by David:
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/howtobuy/default.mspx
The retail price for SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition is $49.95.
Star Fleet Admiral Q @. your service!
Google is your friend!
http://www.google.com
"John Saunders" <jsaunders@.navimedix.com> wrote in message
news:uZtXYtwFGHA.3624@.TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> "David Portas" <REMOVE_BEFORE_REPLYING_dportas@.acm.org> wrote in message
> news:1137019989.434894.33740@.g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>> BLACKDOG157@.LYCOS.COM wrote:
>> > I don't have Sql Server yet. I'd like to learn it at home before I
>> > apply to businesses that use it. I see that there is a trial version
>> > of sql server 2005 that lasts 180 days. But are there any other ways
>> > to learn it? I seem to remember something about Microsoft Access being
>> > able to work with it, and that Microsoft had some other products that
>> > you could get instead for home use, but I don't remember the details.
>> > Thanks,
>> You can also get Developer Edition for $49.95
>> http://www.microsoft.com/sql/editions/developer/default.mspx
> David, I was just looking there earlier today, and can't find where it
> says
> what the features of Developer Edition are, nor how much it costs. Could
> you
> post the URLs to those pages, or else tell me where I missed seeing them?
> Thanks,
> John Saunders
>|||"Admiral Q" <Star_Fleet_Admiral_Q(No_Spam)@.(Spam_Not)hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:%230cCINxFGHA.1452@.TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Everything you need is posted on the URL posted by David or a direct link
> off said same URL.
> Copied directly from the URL mentioned by David:
> Developer Edition allows developers to build and test any type of
> application on top of SQL Server on 32-bit and x64 platforms. It includes
> all of the functionality of Enterprise Edition, but is licensed for use as
a
> development and test system, not as a production server. Developer Edition
> can be upgraded to SQL Server Enterprise Edition for production use.
> From the "How to Buy Page" a link right off the URL mentioned by David:
> http://www.microsoft.com/sql/howtobuy/default.mspx
> The retail price for SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition is $49.95.
Thanks, I now see how I missed it. I was looking for a "Features" link, but
the features blurb was in text. The comparison grid didn't include the
Developer edition. Similarly, the $49.95 price is right under a pricing grid
which does not list Developer edition!
John

No comments:

Post a Comment