Wednesday, March 28, 2012

I dont find any sql server database

Hi,

I installed already vs 2005. The installation installed automaticaly SQL Server 2005 express. Now , I want to see which databases I have there and tables,views,store procedure etc. I tried the server explorer in the vs but I don't see any database on my pc. I tried also to open somthing like enterprise manager like I have in sql server 2000 but I don't found such a tool. I tried to find it in START=>Programs=>SQL Server 2005 but their I see only the Configuration tool. I want to know if the installation of the vs 2005 does not install Databases for the sql server Express ? Should I have to download this database samples? What about a tool to view those database like the enterprise manager in sql server 2000 ?

Thanks,

David

Go to SQL server Express web page and download SQL Management studio express

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/aa336346.aspx

or

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/sql/download/

It should help. To test you can just create new project in VS and try to create SQL server datasource in it.

Thanks

JPazgier

|||

Hi,

You can install the express edition for Management Studio and you can also configure the SQL Server instance from your Server Explorer. But first, you have to check whether the SQL Server instance has been started.

Here are the steps:

1. Start->Run
2. Enter "services.msc" to start the services window.
3. Find the service named SQL Server. The default name for a SQL Express instance is SQLEXPRESS.
4. If it is not started, start it.

HTH.

|||

Hi JPazgier,

Thanks. It works. I installed the managment sudio but it was with no deafault database so I downloaded also the AdventureWorksDB.msi and installad it. After it, I write this code in the managment studio :

execsp_attach_db @.dbname=N'AdventureWorks', @.filename1=N'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\AdventureWorks_Data.mdf', @.filename2=N'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\AdventureWorks_log.ldf'

Now it works.

David

|||

You can aslo do it directly in management studio by right click on Databases and select comand from menu attach database (or something like this).

By the way you always have at least 4 system databases on the server and system use one of them as default if no default database is specified for user.

Good work

JPazgier

No comments:

Post a Comment