Friday, March 30, 2012

I don't want my cube to sort my measures and dimensions alphabetically

My cube has multiple measures and dimensions, and I want them to show in the field list of my pivot table in a specific order. However, when I preview them in BI Development Studio Browser, it automatically sorts in alphabetical. I don't want Analysis Service to reorder my measures and dimensions. Is there a way to diable the sorting feature of SSAS?

I'm afraid it's not possible:(. Oledb specification explicitly states that measure schema rowset (same true for dimensions) are sorted by name.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/es-es/library/ms126250.aspx

You can try (and I have not tries this approach myself) to name dimensions and measures so, the form a specific order and give captions that are what you want your user to see. The more I think about this approach the less I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment